Two of the most progressive companies in the field of electric and hybrid drive systems on water are joining forces. This takes Torqeedo into the segment of hybrid drive systems for 40- to 70-foot yachts.
A spectacular start to the coming season – with the acquisition of Moonwave Systems GmbH Torqeedo is extending its scope of activities and entering the segment of electric hybrid drives for yachts. The management teams of the two companies signed a cooperation agreement with this intent at the start of the Düsseldorf boating fair.
The newly developed hybrid systems not only provide the drive systems for the yachts, they also supply all the power required on board. The use of renewable sources of energy has been integrated into the energy management system. For example, users of the hybrid system can not only travel silently, they can also use silent and environmentally friendly sources of energy when at anchor.
The hybrid system is based around components of the multiple innovation award-winning Deep Blue system from Torqeedo with enhancements for the requirements of electric hybrid yachts.
"Moonwave has extremely interesting concepts and developments for hybrid systems," says Dr Christoph Ballin, CEO of Torqeedo GmbH. "By combining these systems with our Deep Blue drive system, we can offer a fully developed hybrid drive system that defines the state of the art for this field. All the components come from serial production, are perfectly engineered to match each other and are tested in a complete system before delivery."
Stephan Schambach, Managing Director of Moonwave Systems GmbH, commenting on the merger with the market leader for electric drives, "We founded Moonwave Systems in order to offer the most advanced hybrid drive concept for sailing yachts. In the last few months we recognised that the best way of achieving this goal was cooperation with Torqeedo. We are delighted that from now on we'll be working together with Torqeedo to realise our plans and to bring them to market."
The products from the alliance of the two clean-tech companies are aimed primarily at manufacturers of sailing yachts. Existing yachts can still be retrofitted with the new hybrid system.
About Moonwave Systems GmbH:
- Founded in Jena in 2012
- Moonwave Systems develops leading-edge drive systems and power supply concepts for sailing yachts. For greater comfort on board, for closer proximity to nature and for more independence
- Its research and development work centres on the intelligent integration and management of individual technologies using renewable energy
- Moonwave systems are developed for various classes of boat, with the main focus on 40-70-foot sailing catamarans
You can find more information on Moonwave Systems at www.moonwave-systems.com
About Torqeedo GmbH:
- World leader in electric boat drive systems
- Translates uncompromising high-tech approaches into superior and fascinating products (integrated lithium batteries, ultralight designs, leading-edge electronics etc.)
- Best overall efficiency on the market – unique performance and range are the features of all Torqeedo outboards
- Wide range of products (various drive systems from 1 to 80 HP, innovative accessories such as solar charging equipment, high-performance lithium batteries, smartphone app)
- Young, successful company, founded in Starnberg in 2005
- Winner of multiple national and international innovation and environmental awards such as the Deutscher Gründerpreis (2008) [German Business Founder Award] and Red Herring Europe Top 100 (2010), in addition to many prestigious awards in the marine industry such as the DAME Award (2012) and NMMA Award (2010 and 2013)
- On a daily basis, Torqeedo's fascinating products are finding an ever-growing following around the world and are currently available in over 40 countries
Friedrichshafener Str. 4a