Superior Battery Technology
Lithium-based batteries are the technology of choice for electric mobility applications. They store significantly more energy than all other batteries, they maintain a high current – a major advantage for electric drive systems – they do not lose their charging capacity, they supply power reliably even in the cold and have no memory effect. Theyalso provide many more cycles than lead-based batteries.
Torqeedo has been a pioneer in the de- velopment of lithium batteries for marine applications for more than a decade. Since we make our batteries just a little bit better each year, we offer the most comprehen- sive and integrated protection and safety concept for lithium batteries on the market – coupled with performance and convenience.
- High energy density
- Long service life
- Highest quality and safety standards
High Capacity Deep Blue Batteries with BMW i Technology
Cooperation between BMW i and Torqeedo has made state-of-the-art automotive battery engineering available for the marine market. The battery technology introduced in the BMW i3 and optimized with a smaller footprint for the BMW i8 can now power your Torqeedo drive.
Automated module production
- Prismatic cells have many advantages. However, they must be assembled extremely accurately in a very robust frame for a long service life. (Otherwise charging and discharging would, over time, lead to the cells expanding and collapsing very slightly and cause them to age prematurely.)
- The fully automated module production at BMW in Dingolfing has set the standard in high-precision and extremely robust battery modules
- The very rugged design is ideal for boat applications that place high demands on shock resistance
Battery management system (BMS) at module and battery levels
- State-of-the-art BMS technology
- Developed to ASIL C standards as used in the automotive industry for maximum safety
- Qualification and acceptance testing at a far higher level than is typical in the boating industry
- Cools the battery to ensure high performance and a long service life even in high ambient and water temperatures
- in all climate zones anywhere in the world
Power and data connections from the battery to the Deep Blue system
The latest generation of automotive battery cells
- Very high energy density
- Prismatic cell design allows efficient cooling, a compact form, even temperature distribution within the battery and an extremely rugged structure
- Robust protective aluminium housing with safety vent
- From the automated production process of Samsung SDI, a leading manufacturer of lithium battery cells
Laser-welded cell connections
- over a larger surface and therefore stronger and more powerful than conventional spot – welded cell connections.
Pressure safety disc
- The battery is waterproof to IP67. In the unlikely event of excess pressure developing in a cell, the prismatic cells can release the excess pressure through a valve. This is a significant safety advantage over foil-welded cells and pouch cells. The pressure safety disc allows gases to escape and ensures the battery stays waterproof in normal operation.
Models Deep Blue Battery
Low Voltage Power Lithium Batteries
A class of its own in lithium batteries for boats: 70% more energy density and 50% longer cycle life than typical lithium LiFePO4 batteries
Housing and all data connections waterproof to IP67
Cooling system ready and suitable for professional use
The Power 48-5000 supplies all 48 V loads, or other voltage levels with a converter
Isolatable poles ensure protection for safe transport and installation, and also guard against unintentional discharging when stored for long periods
Sophisticated battery management system (BMS) is fully integrated with redundant safety features and protective and balancing functions to extend battery life
Integrated information system identifies the battery and communicates with the Cruise onboard computer
Waterproof and well-protected data port
Models Power Battery
› Power 26-104 Battery
Nominal voltage: 25.9 V
Capacity: 2,685 Wh
Weight: 24.3 kg
Dimensions: 577.5 x 218.5 x 253.5 mm
Service life and aging of lithium batteries:
The service life of a lithium battery is determined by time and, to
a lesser extent, the number of charging cycles. The capacity loss
over time is about 2-4% per year at an ambient temperature of
25°C. The aging process is accelerated if the battery is exposed to
high temperatures. Lithium batteries can be used even when it is
hot, but should be stored at a cooler temperature when possible.
Lithium Battery Safety
Besides performance, safety plays an important role for lithium batteries. In our view, this factors need to be considered in order to ensure that safe really means safe:
Battery management system (BMS) with redundant safety features: unlike lead-based batteries, lithium batteries always need a BMS to perform balancing and safety functions. If electronic components of the BMS fail it can itself become a safety problem for the battery. That's why there is hardware backup for all safety-relevant components in Torqeedo batteries. Incidentally, this is also stipulated in the automotive industry, in aerospace and for medical technology.
Safe, individual cell packaging: Torqeedo only uses safety cells – welded steel cylinders each of which is equipped with multiple hardware safety mechanisms. Other forms of packaging such as foil-sealed cells ("coffee bags") offer a lower standard of safety as they afford less effective protection against internal short circuiting within the cells. (An exception here are cells with ceramic separators, which also provide safe packaging, but these are extremely expensive and very seldom used.)
Clean, precision production processes on the part of the cell manufacturers. Torqeedo only uses cells sourced from reputable manufacturers in Japan and the USA.
Waterproof to IP67: Water in lithium batteries can lead to various problems such as corrosion of the BMS hardware or the creation of electrolytic gas. Lithium batteries on board a boat should therefore be waterproof.
Safe battery chemical engineering, e.g. LiFePo (lithium iron phosphate) or LiNMC (lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide). These are now widely used.