Recall for Travel 401/801 and Ultralight 402 batteries sold in the period 2008-2010 Recall for Travel 401/801 and Ultralight 402 batteries sold in the period 2008-2010
We set the highest standards not just in terms of performance but also in terms of the safety of our products.
For this reason we wish to inform you that we are recalling the above-mentioned batteries as some of the lithium battery cells they contain could in very rare cases pose a fire risk.
What is the cause?
We have become aware of a very few cases where the cells from a certain supplier have possibly ignited. No system defect in the cells or the battery have been detected but we nevertheless wish to recall all the batteries containing the cells from the supplier as a preventive measure. Even if the likelihood of a fire actually occurring is extremely low, there is a risk of injury and possibly danger to life in the event of a fire.
The lithium cells purchased by us were carefully checked to ensure that they comply with all safety requirements. They meet all relevant international norms and standards and are monitored by a battery management system. External testing institutes that have examined the batteries in detail also confirm that there is no indication of serial damage or defect. Nevertheless, the possibility of individual cells being defective cannot be completely ruled out.
The following battery serial numbers are affected:
|Model||Battery serial number||Sold|
|Travel 401||900000 – 901450||08/2008 – 04/2010|
|Travel 801||4300 – 8099 and 900000 – 904699||02/2008 – 04/2010|
|Ultralight 402||0 – 2000||03/2009 – 06/2010|
What is Torqeedo offering?
As a preventive measure we wish to replace all the batteries with the listed serial numbers with new batteries free of charge. If you have a battery with a relevant serial number, please do not continue to use it. Instead, take advantage of our replacement offer.
You can simply exchange a battery with one of the relevant serial numbers as follows:
- Register your battery for replacement here.
- We will replace your battery with a battery of the same quality free of charge.
- As an alternative in the case of Travel 401/801 customers, we will accept the return of the complete outboard motor and credit 80% of the original price in exchange for the purchase of a significantly improved successor model. A table provides an overview of the advantages.
We regret any inconvenience that this preventive measure may have caused you and would ask you to accept our sincere apologies.
Thank your for your understanding and your cooperation in this matter.
Note on the procedures
The batteries affected were included in outboard motors with the following serial numbers:
|Model||Outboard serial numbers||Sold|
|Travel 401 S||0966 - 2407||08/2008 – 08/2010|
|Travel 401 L||0800 - 1161||08/2008 – 06/2010|
|Travel 801 S||1741 – 4711||02/2008 – 08/2010|
|Travel 801 L||1553 – 2774||02/2008 – 05/2010|
|Ultralight 402||903001 – 11210020||03/2009 – 06/2010|
Advantages of the new Travel 503/1003 models compared with the 401/801 models:
- Greater battery capacity (+60% for Travel 1003 models)
- Include on-board computer with GPS-based calculation of the remaining range in real time
- Audible alarm when battery charge level is low
- Waterproof to IP67
- More rugged design
- Solar rechargeable – including during the voyage
- More power and (for Travel 1003) greater efficiency